5 Natural Ways to Kill Mold and Mildew

There are times when mold and mildew become errant, all over your windows and doors. It’s very important that you keep them out of your home. Reason being, they are lethal and a source of many ill health effects especially if they build up in your home. Mold and mildew can cause an outburst of allergic symptoms like: itchy eyes, watery eyes, runny nose, sneezing, wheezing, episodes of difficulty breathing. If you have a lot of mold in your home, respiratory infections can also occur. Mold and mildew if allowed, can grow in many areas of your home and they prove to be extremely difficult to treat thanks to the gazillion tiny spores that clump up together. To make matters worse, mold & mildew grow very fast and when they get contact with air, they spread three or more times fast in your home invading it fully. Now that we have established that they grow and spread fast, it’s necessary that you nip the problem before it gets out of control. We are all aware how expensive it can be when you call in professionals to treat the problem, but did you know you can incorporate practik ideas that are natural and you will be able to kill the mold and mildew naturally?

Bellow you can find some useful ideas that you can use to kill the mold and mildew and reduce the effects of your health.

 Grapefruit Seed Extract – The interest things about this extract is that it works well for people with allergies since it doesn’t have any smell. It’s an extract that works effectively and leaves behind no scent. To bring alive these DIY Ideas use the following procedures:

  • Spray Bottle
  • Water
  • Grapefruit Extract

Pour two cups of water in a bowl. Pour in the bowl 20 drops of the grapefruit seed extract and mix. Pour the mix in a spray bottle and proceed to mix the bottle well. You can now spray the mixture on the areas that have been affected and allow it to settle. Do not wipe it away. It eats the mold and mildew and within no time it will all be gone. If the problem has spread to other rooms repeat the same process over and over again until you cover all areas.

 Tea Tree Oil – Craft ideas such as tea-tree-oil can be used for treating a-lot of things such as:

  • Clearing the skin
  • Controlling infection on the skin
  • Controlling and getting rid of mold and mildew

To use this product, all you have to do is to spray it. This is a safe spray that you can use on all types of surfaces. But be warned that it will have a very strong smell for several days. If you have sensitivity to scents you better book a hotel to crush in for the several days.


  • 2 cups of Water
  • 2 tbsp. of tea tree oil
  • Spray Bottle

Start by pouring two cups of water in the spray bottle. Proceed to pour in the two spoons of tea tree oil and mix them well. Spray the mixture on the affected areas. Do not wipe it away, allow it to sit and chew up all the mold and mildew.

 Distilled Vinegar – This product falls under the category of craft projects that are necessary in the home. Please not that you should use only Distilled-Vinegar and not any other type of vinegar. This is product that has been proven to kill over 82% of any mold. Even better, you can use it as a regular cleaning product and prohibit any growth of new spores. All you have to do is pour distilled vinegar in a spray bottle and spray it on the problematic areas. Just like the products above do not wipe it away. If you are sensitive to the vinegar, you are free to add essential oils that you love smelling and cut the sour smell. The best essential oil is lemon oil since it will mask the vinegar scent. If you decide to use the vinegar straight, the smell will only last for several hours.

Baking Soda – This is a wonderful cleaner. Reason being, you can use it all by itself. All you have to do is mix it up with water or vinegar. After mixing it thoroughly, proceed to stir it allowing the baking soda to dissolve. Pour it in a spray bottle and spray on the problematic areas. After twenty minutes, you can use a damp rag to scrub the solution off. It is a mild product that disinfects well and works on every kind of surface.

 Hydrogen Peroxide – This is a strong home remedy that has more uses than one. All you need is a spray bottle and hydrogen peroxide (3%). You can purchase it over the counter. Pour it in a plastic spray bottle and spray it on the affect areas. Allow it to settle for 15 minutes and wipe it away. Make sure that you put it in a dark spray bottle and save its strength. Hydrogen peroxide is sensitive to light. Enjoy!!!




Photo Courtesy: http://www.simplehouseholdtips.com

Filed in: Ideas Tags: , ,

Get Updates

Share This Post

Related Posts

Leave a Reply

Submit Comment